A Windsor Romance
Posted by Editor on September 12, 2012
If youre planning a romantic weekend, a wonderful spot to pick is the historic town of Windsor. Not only does it boast one of the oldest occupied castles in the world, but there are wonderful walks to be had under the giant oak trees of Windsor Great Park, or alongside the banks of the River Thames. And for your evenings, Windsor has a feast of historic pubs, excellent small restaurants and bistros and if youre really splashing out, you could savour the menu at Heston Blumenthals famous restaurant at Bray, The Fat Duck, which is a short drive away.
The first decision of course is where to stay. Exploring the range of hotels in Slough and the surrounds of Windsor will identify the Millennium & Copthorne Hotel Slough-Windsor, which offers wonderfully luxurious bedrooms and if you want to relax and indulge yourself before touring the town, a swimming pool, spa and beauty salon.
Windsor-Castle, courtesy of Konqui
What to do when youre out and about :
- Take a tour on the River Thames, and spend an idyllic few hours viewing Eton College, Windsor Castle, and the meadows at Runnymede where the Magna Carta wasa signed, from your river boat
- For a more energetic way of absorbing the views, visit Windsor Castle and climb the 189 steps of the restored Round Tower for spectacular vistas of the surrounding countryside stretching to London on a fine day
- You can spend a full day exploring Windsor Castle, there are so many delights to discover. Make sure that at the least you get to see St Georges Chapel, and St Georges Hall, and admire the craftsmanship thats gone into the restoration after the destructive fire of 1992. A fascinating piece in the royal collection is the dolls house built for Queen Mary, with its exquisite furnishings, and working lifts
- Explore Windsor Great Park in a horse and carriage tour, when you can sit back and enjoy an illusion of royalty as you are driven down the Long Walk to Home Park in a Victorian carriage previously used by the Queens Equerry and Horsemaster.
- For a romantic evening, choose from the Michelin starred restaurants in and around Windsor to create a perfect ending to your day. You can eat beside the River Thames (never far away from you when you are staying in Windsor) at The Waterside Inn run by Michel Roux.